Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Soap Challenge...how do these suds bubble...

This was after the first cycle.  Both still have serious stains but the homemade soap has removed a better portion.  Note to self...DO NOT get mustard on clothes:)  In the end the homemade soap was the winner.  It came out soft and the stains were greatly decreased. 

A week or so ago a friend of mine posted (on Pinterest) a recipe for homemade laundry soap.  The claim was that it was easy to make, inexpensive, you needed very little for each load and it worked great.  Well, I just had to try it for myself!  And being the crazy person that I am I had to do a "controlled" study on the case.  I made the soap following this recipe.  I have to say that this was pretty fun to make and I was excited to see what happened!  Once the soap was made I put all sorts of stains on an old white shirt (it is the same shirt just split in half).  I let the stains dry before putting them in the wash.  And as we all know, you would normally use a stain remover (even with the best soap) before washing...but that was not what this study was about.  So one at a time I washed both the garments.  Both on cold.  I should mention that I have a front loader...don't know if this makes a difference or not.  In the end I washed each garment 4 times the final with a treatment for stains.  And in the end, and really from the beginning, the homemade soap WON!!! 
A few things to note:
1.  While the homemade soap smells nice while washing it does not leave an scent on the clothes after it is rinsed.  For some this is great as scent on clothing is not the best, for others who like scents I would suggest adding scent to the mix or maybe a fabric softener.
2.  These stains were crazy set in.  Normal everyday stains would (and do) wash out great with both products.
3.  The whole mix cost under $20 to make and you only need 2-3 TBS per load (it makes 4 gallons).  This will last a LONG time.
4.  Since this was an isolated study I do not know the long term effects on clothes or how it works day in day out.  I will report back on the findings there.
5.  For us who want to save a few bucks...this is a fun project and one that works!  Enjoy!!!




1 comment:

  1. Love that you did a controlled study! I have been using this for the last few weeks and have found it even gets the stink out of workout clothes! Plan on using it all the time now!

    ReplyDelete